Monday, May 11, 2009

Welcome to the New Electric Church

Welcome to the New Electric Church. For the uninitiated, the original Electric Church was a quasi-spiritual belief that electric music brings out emotions , feelings, and creative ideas in people, and encourages spiritual maturity. Popularized in the 1960s during the Psychedelic era, primarily by artists & musicians, maybe its original ideology still has some relevance today (Uh, forget what is called the "Electric Church" today and preaching from the web).

Consider all the Electronic music that emerged since
John Cage, Pierre Schaeffer, Karlheiz Stockhausen, Terry Riley and Edgar Varese began dabbling and experimenting in the 1930s and 1940s - the 1960s oscillating & synthesized sounds of The Silver Apples, Martin Denny, Wendy Carlos, & The Wozard Of Iz, the 1970s Electronic Ambient music of Brian Eno, Harold Budd, Jean Michel Jarre, and all of the surreal Electronic music since the 1970s from the likes of Kraftwerk, Yellow Magic Orchestra, Tangerine Dream, Cluster and Klaus Schulze. Consider, even the pop-tinged 1990s Electronica of The Chemical Brothers, The Orb, Aphex Twin or the modern Electronic sounds of The Boards Of Canada. It all emanates from the same "wavelength" - man's fascination with new sounds and man's relentless pursuit to uncover newer sounds.

As much as I like to "Rock out" or groove to R&B, Funk & Soul, nothing gives me a more pleasing (quasi-spiritual) experience than the near "out-of-body" feeling I get when I listen to Electronic music (Kraftwerk live was almost a religious experience). Besides, nothing comforts me better when I sleep that the barely audible ambient/electronic music playing in the background while I nod off (My favorite music to achieve this ecstasy is Brian Eno & Daniel Lanois' Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks)

I am aware that Electronic music and Ambient music have grown in popularity over the decades. One of my students, last week, told me that he was really digging Eno's Ambient 1: Music For Airports, as he had never heard it before. Immediately, I was compelled to direct him to a multitude of other albums, but I know it might have been a turn off at that point. Let him discover more himself, I told myself.

So, I turn to this trusty blog to help me mention a few other Electronic/Ambient albums that I think others will find interesting and, possibly, enjoy...

Brian Eno - Discreet Music, Music For Films, Neroli, Lightness: Music For The Marble Palace
Robert Fripp & Brian Eno - No Pussyfooting, Evening Star, Equatorial Stars
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene & Equinoxe
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Comica (Brilliant Ambient Album!)
Tangerine Dream (Early Years) - Atem, Zeit, Green Desert
Tangerine Dream (Virgin Years) - Phaedra, Stratosphear, Ricochet, Encore
Roedelius & Morgan Fisher - Neverless
Klaus Schulze - Moonwind, Irrlicht, Cyborg, Dune
George Harrison - Electronic Sound
David Bowie - Low (Side 2)
The Future Sound Of London - ISDN, Dead Cities, Amorphous Androgynous
Air - Premieres Symptomes
Boards Of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children, Trans Canada Highway
Bill Laswell - Axiom Ambient
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk I, Kraftwerk II, Autobahn, Trans Europe Express, Radioactivity
Buckethead - Colma
Cluster & Eno - Cluster & Eno
The Fireman (Paul McCartney) - Strawberries Oceans Ships Forests
Flying Saucer Attack - Rural Psychedelia
Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia
John Cage - Nova Musicha .1 (Compilation)
Luke Vibert & BJ Cole - Stop The Panic
M Frog - M Frog
Moebius & Plank - Rastakrautpasta
Moebius, Plank & Neumeier - Zero Set
Neu! - Neu!, Neu 75
Nik Tuner's Sphyinx - Xitintoday
Peter Namlook & Klaus Schulze - Dark Side Of The Moog (Series)
Popol Vuh - Einsjäger & Siebenjäger, Future Sound Experience
Silver Apples - Silver Apples
Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

For anyone with an escalating interest in Ambient and/or Electronic music, check out any of the above albums and you will not be disappointed. If you can think of any I might be interested in then please email me or post it in your comment. Thanks! Oscillate onwards!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Doug! Hope you don't mind me following you on here, I'm just getting into the blogosphere. I'm guessing this will finally give me some reference lists as to what to check out when I want something like [insert word, feeling, band]. Cheers! Feel free to check out my blog, what I'm sort of doing is giving myself an outlet to publish poems, sketches, etc. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Thomas! Like your poems. Good stuff! Keep it up. Maybe I will post mine some day.

    ReplyDelete