Friday, May 15, 2009

Album Of The Week - "Through The Looking Glass"

One might wonder why I have elected to blog about a covers album rather than something from the original canon of work by my band of choice this week, Siouxsie & The Banshees. Well, first off I loved their version of "Dear Prudence" from their album Hyaena & because I like cover songs and I adore albums dedicated to cover songs. I was a big fan of David Bowie's Pinups, Bryan Ferry's Let's Stick Together, Booker T & The MGs McLemore Ave, you name it...if it was a cover song, I was more inclined to listen more attentively. Don't ask me why, I just do. When it comes to Through The Looking Glass by Siouxise & The Banshees, it is a most excellent covers album to listen to any number of times. Never one of my favorite bands (maybe thats why I never chose one of "their" albums), but their choices of songs and album title resounded like a classic to me. It still is, as far as cover albums go. I wish there were more of them. The bands of today might learn more of their craft by covering more older material. That's how the old school rock bands did it and they still do the covers. Cheap Trick did some great ones, so did Eric Clapton, Brian Eno, Neil Young, Todd Rundgren, Roxy Music, Nazareth, The Doors, Yes, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Nirvana, John Lennon, The Who. I am not even going to short change the multitude of other bands from the past 20 years who have done the odd cover song. But, I do miss the days when a cover song or two was a staple inclusion on just about any album and by just about every group or artist.

Of course, the unique attraction of a cover song would have to be the recording bands' distinctive interpretation of the chosen song. In a nutshell, they have to leave their fingerprint on the song and its' new version (I never really liked covers that were a note for note version).
In regards to Siouxsie & The Banshees' Through The Looking Glass, they get full marks for interpretation and even higher marks for material chosen. The album kicks off with "This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us", my all time favorite songs by Sparks. An immediate nod to that bands influence on the Punk musicians. Then the hall of fame choices go even further back in time with Billie Holiday's "Strange Fruit", Jimi Hendrix's "Hall Of Mirrors" (also covered by Chrissie Hynde & The Pretenders on their album Get Close) and The Band's "This Wheel's On Fire" (which is possibly also a nod to Bob Dylan since he co-wrote the song w/ Rick Danko). What a fantastic selection. The only question I had was why "Trust In Me" from Disney's Jungle Book?

Side Two of the album kicked off with another nugget from the 60's with the Doors "You're Lost Little Girl". Back again to the punk roots of the 70's with Iggy Pop's "The Passenger", John Cale's "Gun", Roxy Music's "Sea Breezes". Every single song neatly captures the essence of the original and distinctly portrays Siouxsie & The Banshees more "mature" side. Thats the best way I can describe it. I somehow had more appreciation for the band and their musical capabilities when I first heard this record. Their showed respect and earned it, in one fell swoop with me. And that was before I heard the last & final track.

The song that proved that Siouxsie, Budgie, Steve Severin had some serious underground tastes in their circles - Tom Verlaine & Television's rare 45 rpm single "Little Johnny Jewel". For me, their version comes pretty close to capturing a similar angst to the original and yet able to take the angst to another level. Slightly more disturbing, too. Through The Looking Glass is one album to check out if you are into cover songs like me. (4/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment