Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Hazards Of Love

Some days I just get so overwhelmed by the amount of music my senses want to enjoy and discover. Sometimes, it seems like a chore when I have to upload everything I buy to my Mac and iPod. Yeah, I know, why should I be bitchin' and whinin'?

This week was a banner week for CDs. I just received in from Japan a bunch of SHM CDs in my coveted Japan Mini LP CD format (CDs that come inside package that is a mini-replica of the original LP artwork). Brilliant stuff!

So, this week, I received 4 Joe Walsh titles (Barnstorm, So What, Smoker You Drink...& Live) , 4 James Gang titles (Yer Album, Rides Again, Thirds, Live), 9 Siouxsie & The Banshees titles (everything up to Tinderbox), 2 Tom Verlaine (S/t & Dreamtime), 2 Captain Beefheart titles (Safe as Milk & Mirror Man), 8 Humble Pie titles, Magical Power Mako 1st album, Easy Star All Stars Club Band (New Album) and the latest albums by Super Furry Animals and The Decemberists.

I could write about the merits and misses of all the albums I received this week, in particular the older titles. But I would rather not.

In fact, the album that struck me the most out of all of them, was the new album by The Decemberists' The Hazards Of Love. At first, I just put it on and played it while I was working. Volume was low enough to work and not loud enough to distract me. Yet, distracted I became. At first it was the harpsichord that begins the song "The Wanting Comes in Waves". As that song picked up in pace, the vocals towards the end just blew me away with the sheer power of them. The harmony vocals are so pleasing to the ear. Lots of guitar, organ and some brilliant arrangements.

I noticed that on the website rateyourmusic.com, most of the people posting "reviews" don't like this new album. Well, again...to each his own. Hoever, I am not sure what these people are looking for in new music. Sure, the Decemberists have influences that are evident in their music, but they are no Nickelback or some other piece of crap that record companies flaunt as the next best thing.

This is obviously quality music that is written by real song writers. Not just musicians attempting to be songwriters.

Check out the album - The Hazards Of Love by The Decemberists


No comments:

Post a Comment